KISS Barcelona is a commitment to sustainability and environmental awareness promoted by the Circuit, as well as by the International Motorcycle Federation -Ride Green- with the collaboration of DORNA, IRTA and UNEP, through a wide range of activities organized during the Gran Premi Monster Energy de Catalunya de MotoGP™. The Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya has carried out the programme for seven years through its Green Meeting Point platform.
KISS Barcelona 2019
In 2019, the focus has been on caring for biodiversity and the environment. With the collaboration of Social Forest, a company dedicated to sustainable forest management, has acted in a first area of forest among the 24 green hectares that owns the Circuit.
The actions that have been performed included an inventory of the health condition of the trees in the Circuit; the trimming of pine trees, the felling of the eucalyptus, the felling of trees affected by Tomicus, sanitary and improvement felling, planting of native trees, as well as the elimination of invasive species. In addition, as a circular economy action, nest boxes were manufactured using plant debris from tree felling in the area.
This initiative is the result of a circular funding generated by means of sustainable circular economy action. With the funds raised from the reusable cups that were not returned during the last season, it became possible to fund the Circuit Forest project.
In addition, it is an educational forest, which was inaugurated with the collaboration of Marc Marquez as part of the celebration of the Grand Prix. An insect hotel was set up in the Crater Forest area with the presence of a group of pupils from a local school.
As usual, the KISS Barcelona programme has included several initiatives and improvements listed below:
- KISS Barcelona stand: a space located in the facilities to raise awareness during the weekend of CatalanGP.
- Stop Food Waste Campaign!: the restoration sites housed posters with this campaign against food waste.
- Food donation: all surplus food generated by not having been consumed or cooked, was donated to El Xiprer, a social entity of Granollers.
- Km0 Gastronomy: Km0 cooking was promoted to avoid long food transports and CO2
- Distribution of reusable glasses: with the proceeds from the sale of these glasses, the Circuit improved the biodiversity of its green areas.
- Mobility proposals: a wide range of offers using public transport
- Renewable electricity: all of the electricity used during the Grand Prix is renewable