This week, Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya will hold another edition of the Catalunya WorldSBK Round with an equally important dimension as the sporting one, and that is the sustainable one. The meeting, which has been ISO 20121 certified since last year, has prepared a set of actions to contribute to sustainability and to raise awareness among all the parties involved in the Round.
This mission is carried out following a management based on the 3Cs (Conscience, Commitment and Coherence) and thus contributing to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals of the United Nations 2030 Agenda.
The sustainable actions that will accompany the event will be the following.
- Sustainable mobility: promoting the use of electric vehicles and the 7 electric vehicle charging points within the facilities, specifically in the paddock.
- Responsible use of water
- Efficient energy consumption: all electricity is provided from a 100% certified renewable source. In addition, 50% of the generators rented to cover the paddock’s needs are low-emission.
- Km0 and organic products: attendees can purchase local and organic products at the catering points for the public, as well as at the km0 restaurant of the Circuit. This avoids long food transport journeys and reduces CO2 emissions.
- Reduction of plastic waste: using, for instance, water fountains in all the Circuit offices. In addition, reusable cups are distributed at the catering points in the public areas to achieve the same objective.
- Correct waste segregation: 100% of the domestic waste generated at the event is segregated in containers for organic waste, packaging, paper and glass. In the public areas there are containers to recycle all waste correctly. Thanks to an agreement with Ecoembes, 632 tonnes of packaging have been recovered since 2008.
- Circular economy: the Circuit recovers used tyres and gives them a new life as planters in several indoor green areas and in the Educational Forest of the Crater.
- Food donation: all uncooked food is collected at the end of the event to be donated to the social diner El Xiprer in Granollers. More than 11,000 kg have been collected since 2017.
- Sustainable forest care: since 2019, the Circuit has been working on a project to improve the biodiversity of its green areas. The aim is to create a native and autonomous ecosystem, adding an educational value through descriptive panels.
- Social commitment: the Circuit collaborates with social entities such as El Xiprer thanks to the donation of food or with BOSCAT through the management of its forests. The company that provides medical assistance in the public areas will also have an adapted vehicle to facilitate accessibility to people with reduced mobility who need to move around the different areas of the Circuit.
- Sustainability Stand: as usual, attendees and teams will find a sustainability stand in the paddock area that will allow them to learn about these and other actions on which the Circuit is working. Moreover, this time, the people who answer a short survey on sustainability will be entered into a draw for 2 tickets for the CatalunyaRX race.