Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, is promoting KISS Barcelona for the ninth year in a row, through its Green Meeting Point, invoking the programme known as KISS (Keep It Shiny and Sustainable) by FIM Ride Green, within the frame of the Gran Premi Monster Energy de Catalunya de MotoGP™. An event that will be staging a round of the FIM MotoE™ World Cup for the first time at the Circuit.
This year, all efforts are focussed on the well-being of people, under the motto “2021, The Year of the People”. Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, showing its commitment to sustainability, by means of the 3C Management “Conscience, Commitment and Coherence” and integrating social, economic and environmental aspects in all events, does also preserve people’s health care.
After a year, 2020, which has been very difficult for sports in general and for sports lovers, FIM Ride Green is promoting a return which is as sustainable and responsible as possible, imparting ideas such as protecting oneself to protect others or complying with the restrictions and regulations implemented at all times, since they save lives.
The Circuit has been working in that same direction for some time, proven by the fact that it was awarded with the Safe Travels seal by the World Travel Tourism Council in December 2020, a distinction that recognises the Barcelona racetrack as an entity committed to tourism sustainability, offering a safe setting considering the COVID-19 pandemic. Thus, the Gran Premi Monster Energy de Catalunya de MotoGP will be staged with all possible safety and health guarantees.
In addition to caring for the people and their well-being, the Catalan facilities continue with their particular mission “Driving for a Better Future”. For almost a decade, the World Championship racetrack has been organising a series of activities to raise public awareness about the care and respect for the environment, within the framework of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) 2030.
The Circuit, in its Statement of Purposes and Values, includes the commitment to good governance in the administration of the activity, specifically with the fundamental values of integrity, honesty and transparency; as well as promoting gender equality, non-discrimination and protection of accessibility and job placement for people with disabilities or at risk of social exclusion.
KISS Barcelona Actions 2021
- The use of 100% renewable energy. The power used during the days of the event has a completely renewable origin, in order to try to reach a zero footprint.
- Electric charging points. All users of this type of energy have 7 different charging points available located in different areas of the Catalan sports facilities.
- Encouragement of the use of sustainable generators.
- The promotion and the use of 0-kilometre products by all of the catering suppliers implies supporting local producers and craftsmen, making an ecological consumption, with seasonal and proximity products. The Circuit’s restaurant does also offer this type of Km 0 gastronomy, with healthy food, committed to the surroundings, in order to avoid long transport ways and the respective CO emissions.
- The Stop Food Waste Campaign, to raise awareness and avoid wasting food. The campaign is carried out in all catering points with boards showing this message.
- Food donation, as a huge amount of food excess is generated during the four Grand Prix days. The Catalan racetrack will donate this surplus again this year. This action has been bearing fruit for many years now, with more than 6,500 kg donated since 2017.
- The use of circular economy in waste management, as the best waste is no waste. It is made by means of actions like the sale of reusable cups which are used to fund the Circuit Forest project, the reuse of tires and the recovery of the waste generated.
- Sustainability stand to raise awareness about the need to care for the environment, and to disseminate all the actions that are being carried out. It will also show the stamp of the ISO 14001 certification and the Biosphere Commitment certificate.
World Environment Day
Saturday 5 June, will not only be the day on which the qualifying practices of the Gran Premi Monster Energy de Catalunya de MotoGP™ will be staged, but also World Environment Day. This year, the theme of the World Environment Day will focus on the restoration of ecosystems: “Reimagine. Recreate. Restore.”.
The Circuit joins the celebration of the World Environment Day and continues developing the project “The Forest of the Circuit. A sustainable and dynamic management creating environmental and social value”, which started two years ago, in coherence with the commitment to a sustainable management, and funded by a circular economy action, thanks to the income generated by the reusable cup of the Circuit. The Catalan racetrack is aware of their responsibility and obligation to not only to offset the environmental impact, but also to contribute to a positive legacy to the territory.
During the Gran Premi Monster Energy de Catalunya de MotoGP™ in 2019, Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya officially inaugurated the Circuit Forest, the first green area in the facilities to be improved within a transformation project with the aim of extending the biodiversity of these natural areas in the facilities. Led by Social Forest, a company dedicated to sustainable forest management, which is oriented to training and the labour integration of social excluded or unemployed young people, and within the framework of the FIM’s KISS Barcelona programme, it also counted on the collaboration of FIM Ride Green Environmental Ambassador, Marc Márquez.
In early 2020 Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya launched the second phase of the project, carrying out various actions such as the construction of the “Path of the Senses”, with natural materials found in the Circuit, or the installation of educational posters. In 2021, it was already possible to carry out actions such as the maintenance of the area worked on during the first phase, the sanitary and improvement felling, the planting of trees of local species, the management of plant remains, or the corner of aromatic plants planted in tyres, among others.