Within the framework of the FORMULA 1 ARAMCO GRAN PREMIO DE ESPAÑA 2021, the Circuit has opted for the 3C Management philosophy, integrating the social, economic and environmental components. And this is done with conscience, commitment and coherence, by means of a wide range of actions.
- 100% renewable energy: The power used during the days of the event has a completely renewable origin, in order to try always to reach a zero footprint.
- Electric charging points: All users of this type of energy have 7 different charging points available located in different areas of the Catalan sports facilities.
- Encouragement of the use of sustainable generators
- Distribution of water dispensing machines: The aim is to avoid the use of plastic bottles in F1 motorhomes, which may lead to a huge volume of plastic waste during the Grand Prix.
- Stop Waste Food campaign: To raise awareness about the food waste is as important as not wasting it at all. Therefore, and in order to raise awareness among everyone at the facilities, this message will be shown on several boards.
- Sustainability stand: There will be a stand at the Paddock in order to raise awareness about environmental protection. The stand will also disseminate all the actions that have been carried out. It will also show the seal of the ISO 14001 certification and the Biosphere Commitment Award.
- Food donation: A huge amount of food excess is generated during the four Grand Prix days. The Catalan racetrack will donate this surplus again this year. This action has been bearing fruit for many years now, with more than 6,500 kg donated since 2007.
- Km 0 products: With the support of all catering providers, the encouragement of kilometre 0 gastronomy implies supporting local producers and craftsmen, making an ecological consumption, with seasonal and proximity products. The Circuit’s restaurant does also offer this type of Km 0 gastronomy, with healthy food, committed to the surroundings, in order to avoid long transport ways and the respective CO emissions.
- Circular economy: With some of the performed actions, such as the reusable cups or the efficient waste management, the Circuit is able to fund other sustainability-related projects, generating a circular economy culture.
- Waste management: In the same way as with the food, the Circuit promotes the efficient management of waste, from its collection to its transport, in order to promote their recycling as well.
- Sustainable forest maintenance and care: With a forest of more than 25 hectares, the Circuit has acted on several green areas, performing an exhaustive biodiversity care and improvement plan with the company Social Forest.
All of these actions, amongst many others, led to the certification of the Circuit’s environmental management system according to the 14001-2004 standard. Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya is celebrating now 13 years as a pioneer in this field. In 2017, the facilities pioneered again achieving the same certificate with the new 2015 version, becoming the first racetrack to accomplish it.
The Circuit also became the first F1 racetrack to receive the Three-Star-Level Award which is awarded by the sustainability programme of the FIA Institute. More recently, the Circuit was awarded with the Biosphere Barcelona Standard for Commitment to Sustainable Tourism, as well as with the Safe Travels seal, for being safe facilities, committed to the safety of all parties involved within the COVID-19 pandemic.