In 2008, Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya received the certification stating that the environmental management system of the racetrack complies with all the requirements of the ISO 14001-2004 standard for the activities of event organization and facility leasing. After receiving this certification, the Circuit became the only circuit worldwide to be certified according to this standard.
With this certification, Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya committed itself to a continuous improvement of the environmental behaviour of the company, recognising their responsibility with the environment and setting themselves as main aim to progressively and continuously reduce the negative effects on the environment and on the wellbeing of people to minimum levels.
With the aim of protecting the environment, Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya works in order to minimise the consumption of resources and the generation of waste, promoting the use of recycling materials, renewable energy sources and the valuation of waste; collaborating with suppliers and contractors to improve the respect and protection of the environment; promoting staff communication and education in order to guarantee a correct environmental behaviour and raising the awareness of the public and all parties involved in the protection of the environment.. In this way, the sports facilities continue with their trend of constant growth, with the aim continuing to be considered as one of the best racetracks in the world, with modern facilities and a pioneering environmental involvement in the world of motor sports and racetracks.
This certification has been renewed every year, reviewing the development of the management system and approving new objectives.
In 2012, Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya received the “2012 FIM Environment Award” by the Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM), an award that recognises the work done in terms of environmental protection by the Catalan racetrack and the commitment of the circuit, thanks to the “Green Meeting Point” project introduced to promote sustainable mobility through different actions, such as environment –friendly races, conferences on the electric vehicle and its alternatives, tours, exhibitions, etc. as well as environmental awareness raising and education actions aimed at fans and organisation staff.
Below is a list of some of the actions and improvements introduced at Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya in recent years:
- Selective collection of packaging
- Promotion of the Green Point
- Collection centre for the recycling of small-volume waste
- Recharging point for electric vehicles
- Planting of the Universia-Santander woods with 300 trees
- Yearly quantification of all environmental impacts in order to be able to assess them with quantitative data and environmental indicators: waste, energy, water, paper consumption, battery consumption, mobility, noise, communication and training. New social and environmental criteria have been introduced in the contracts with suppliers and external staff
- Staging of races and events dealing with environmental aspects